Friday, January 05, 2007

Three Modalities

I just finished Eckart Tolle's "A New Earth" and the thing that struck me most was the very last chapter (attention deficit, perhaps?). He says that there are three ways that consciousness can flow into whatever you're doing: ENJOYMENT, ENTHUSIASM and ACCEPTANCE.

In any situation - whether that's riding in the car, cleaning dog piss, having a beer (a good one or one that tastes like dog piss), going to a funeral, fighting an illness, sitting in meditation - a conscious person (one not suffering through habitual negative mental chatter or unconscious thinking) will either be enjoying the moment, be enthused (joy + directional movement toward a goal), or simply be accepting of the moment (non-resistant, i.e. "Well here we are, and it's not maybe what I'd have chosen, but it is what it is and I accept it!").

It's really a brilliant gauge as to how "present" you are.

4 comments:

Becca said...

I was once married to a person with that "habitual negative mental chatter" and he had a very difficult time accepting -- constantly complaining about this or that, everyday things that could not be avoided. Life is much easier for me to ENJOY and be ENTHUSED about now that he's gone.

Jon said...

A great test for practical spirituality.

anonymous julie said...

Huh. I'm great at accepting but find that enjoyment and enthusiasm are way more FUN!!

They call him James Ure said...

"Well here we are, and it's not maybe what I'd have chosen, but it is what it is and I accept it!"

Radical acceptance has helped me so much in dealing with issues that arise. "It is what it is." That is one of my favorite mantras.