Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Smell of Yeast Proofing

One of my favorite Sabbath rest activities is baking bread. About 6 months ago I decided to bake a loaf of yeast bread by hand (no bread machine) just on a whim.

Since that time, I've spent numerous free days and evenings baking up various golden loaves. This past Monday I experimented with Challah (see picture) - a jewish, braided egg-bread. Although I wasn't overly impressed with its taste, it's not so much the final product but the process that's most refreshing and renewing:

Kneading the elastic dough by hand, smelling and seeing the yeast proofing in warm water, punching down the inflated dough that has been rising for 2 hours, catching the most wonderful aroma that is billowing out of the oven and filling the house with tones of fresh baked bread...

It brings a smile, develops mindfulness and is the perfect way to spend a few hours.

4 comments:

isaiah said...

Perfect way to lose yourself and let the 'baker' emerge. Can't say I've ever hand-made bread before but, cooking is a wonderful way to give of yourself. I often lose myself in preparing a meal.

John Lennon used to be big on making bread when he was a home-dad.

Jon said...

Sounds even better than lacto-fermenting your own ginger-ale! :-)

tamingthemind said...

There is nothing like a really good piece of challah bread smothered with chopped liver (homemade, of course). Absolutely divine!

retarius said...

few things in life are as wonderful as fresh, home baked bread. rock on, daddy-o.