Friday, February 11, 2005

After dropping my wife off at her workplace this morning, I began the 15-minute commute from her work to mine. To fill that time appropriately, I turned off the radio and began using my wrist mala. As I let the mantra "Om Mani Padme Hum" (which means, loosely, that God is like a precious jewel located in my heart) resonate repetitively I began to think about how - not only is God in the lotus of my heart - but God is within every person in existence. As I passed cars or pedestrians, I would imagine God sitting at their core.

That was until I pulled behind the red car.

On this car's back window was a sticker that said "Marriage=Man+Woman." Now, I'm fine if you want to hold that view, but it seemed very closed-minded and arrogant to make it into a bumper sticker and place it on your car. The minute my eyes hit this sticker, my lips proclaimed: "Jackass."

Hahaha. Here I was, repeating an ancient prayer about God in all beings and the minute I see someone I disagree with, I curse him like he's the scum of the earth. I didn't take it too seriously though - in fact I laughed at the irony of the situation.

And then all of a sudden understanding settled in - for I realized that within the driver was the essence of God too - and that given the same conditioning, environment he was raised in, and the circumstances in which he finds himself, I would probably be just like him and behave in the same way.

And in the giant scheme of things - the great Cosmic Drama - this man's "apparent ignorance" helped teach me something today.

So, there are either accidents or there are not.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Scary, isn't it?

To think that there's no me--I'm not really a human being, so much as an instance of human being, here in this particular circumstance.

Without my body, my story, and my thoughts, what am I? And since body, story, and thoughts all pass away, whatever is left must be me. What is that?

That is the question.

isaiah said...

That red-car and the person behind the wheel is one of your master teachers!

Yes, everywhere we are there are lessons to be learned- teachers offering enlightenment! One of my personal teachers is Highway 278 (ask your mom-in law about the explosion of growth and traffic here) and the bumper to bumper traffic (not to mention all the personalities behind the wheel.)

If I can successfully make it to work and home again without cursing someone out and loosing all my Unity principles...then I consider myself a good student for the day!