Monday, July 12, 2004

Only "US"

Started watching the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy" yesterday. It's interesting how in small tribal communities, there is no sense of "I", "me", or "mine." There is only "us." "Us" brings contentment. "Us" knows no jealously, or hatred, or fear.

I think we're entering a time when humanity is beginning to - and must - rethink morality. No longer will we think of moral answers as what's "right or wrong" for ME. Perhaps we'll relearn tribal relationships and worldviews and begin to ask ourselves, "Is what I'm about to do good or bad, not for me, but for my community, the earth, my brotherhood with all living beings and creatures?"

If not, we're on a slipperly slope into self-annihilation. If we continue to trash and rape the planet just to satisfy our "me-ness," we're not living in a way that future generations may continue to live. I can't think of anything less "US-like" than that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, that movie is awesome. I guess I haven't watched in since I was tiny, but I loved it even then.
~Allison