Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Earworm / Feb '07

In the unexpectedly excellent animated film "Open Season," Elliot the deer finds a discarded coffee in the trash can. He says: "Ew. EW. EW! It's terrible and wonderful at the same time! It's like freedom in a cup!"

Terrible and wonderful at the same time. That's the phrase I would use to describe how I feel about this song (below). I know I shouldn't like it... being pretty awful and all... but for some reason every time I wake up at night or when I'm laying in bed in the morning, it's there - singing that goofy Supertramp rip-off hook until I bang my head against the wall four or five times to make it go away.

So, watch this video 2 or 3 times and tell me you don't wake up w/ it. Or, then again, maybe you shouldn't.


Gym Class Heroes: "Cupid's Chokehold"

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Okay, yep, it's in my head now. Thanks so much.

anonymous julie said...

You're right, that's pretty catchy.

Try on "Purple Bottle" by Animal Collective - that's the one I was stuck with for a good chunk of the weekend.

Okay, now let's get that unstuck...

isaiah said...

I really like this song- and the line from "Breakfast In America" brings back childhood memories (what a band- Supertramp.)

I fell in love for the first time with "Breakfast" as a backing soundtrac.

It's funny...don't know what it is but, certain songs just seem to slip inside and churn; crystal clear, deafeningly (is that a word?)clear and it becomes physical; physically disturbing the longer it continues (especially when it's a very un-kool song- like, what they hell is this all about?)

I sometimes ask for someone to "give" me another song to replace the one freight-training through my brain...and sometimes they'll break into something just as silly and disturbing, sometimes they just look at me with a blank expression..."what?"

It's like a bunch of drunken monkeys swinging in the cobwebs of the mind and screatching to a broken record, isn't it?

Trevor Harden said...

Wo...julie, good sounding group. I checked out their MySpace... good stuff.

Tommy- Hhaha, yah it is. Hope this one doesn't remain in your noggin for too long. And glad to send you back down memory lane...