Thursday, November 09, 2006

"I'll be there."

I have never actually watched the classic movie "Grapes of Wrath," but our Pastor showed this clip at church on Sunday morning and the mystical dialog is just amazing.



Ma: How am I gonna know about ya, Tommy? They could kill ya and I'd never know. They could hurt ya. How am I gonna know?

Tom: Maybe it's like Casey says: A fellow ain't got a soul of his own, just little piece of a big soul, the one big soul that belongs to everybody, then -

Ma: Then what, Tom?

Tom: Then it don't matter. I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be everywhere, wherever you can look. Wherever there's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready and where people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build. I'll be there, too.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I remember hearing that line when I was a kid, and how much it moved me. The part about "one big soul" completely went by me then, just like the non-dual snippets in Dandelion Wine did as well. Fascinating to rediscover them again, isn't it?

BTW, the human-verifier is presenting "wgeer" or "W. Geer" who was "Grandpa" on The Waltons. I think this is not a coincidence.