Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Now that's listener involvement...

Here is Ben Folds performing his song Army at an intimate concert setting. This is certainly the way to get your fans involved... Mouth Trumpet! Fun stuff. (Plus, how can you beat a song that references Chick-Fil-A)



Well I thought about the Army,
Dad said, "Son, you're fuckin' high."
And I thought, yeah there's a first for everything,
so I took my old man's advice.
Three sad semesters,
it was only fifteen grand
Spent in bed I thought about the army,
I dropped out and joined a band instead.

Grew a mustache and a mullet,
Got a job at Chick-Fil-A
Citing artistic differences the band broke up in May,
and in June reformed without me, and they got a different name.
I nuked another grandma's apple pie
and hung my head in shame.

Been thinking a lot today.
Been thinking a lot today.

Ohhhh, I think I'll write a screenplay.
Ohhhh, I think I'll take it to LA.
Ohhhh, I think I'll get it done yesterday.

In this time of introspection.
On the eve of my election,
I say to my reflection
God, please spare me more rejection.
Cause my peers they criticize me,
and my ex-wives all despise me.
Try to put it all behind me,
but my redneck past is nipping at my heels

I've been thinking a lot today.
I've been thinking a lot today.
I've been thinking a lot today.
I thought about the army...

2 comments:

Becca said...

I love this CD, the Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner. It reminds me of that awesome summer we all met at Epworth.

Celeste said...

I read on Wikipedia that Folds had attended a music college for percussion, and broke his hand before a solo committee exam. They made him drum anyway and trashed him. He quit school and threw his drum kit in the lake!

I've heard so many horrible stories about art colleges. I wonder why they act that way.

Well now he is famous and they are probably still being mean to students in their little school.