Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Book Recommendation: The Heart of Christianity

Even though I'm a huge Marcus Borg fan, I avioded this book for a long time because of it's title. It sounds like just another wishy-washy Christian non-fiction book, but I was very glad when I actually dove into it.

If you're looking for a way to understand how to be a follower of Jesus without subscribing to the traditional and rigid/limited American Christian views on the Bible, God, Jesus and other religions, this is worth checking out.

Most notably, Borg wisely points out that following Jesus is more about following the WAY of Jesus (compassion, death and resurrection, love) than it is about intellectually assenting to beliefs and doctrines.

It's fresh and right on the money.

4 comments:

isaiah said...

Thanks for this recommendation...isn't it funny how titles can put us off and then we look inside and discover a great read.

Trev Diesel said...

I know. I sometimes wonder what the process is about what they finally settle on as a title of a book - it kind of communicates a lot!!

Darrell Grizzle said...

I've heard several authors, including Bishop Spong, say they have no choice over the titles of their books -- they're named by the publishers (usually the marketing department). I agree, "The Heart of Christianity" is a pretty anemic title for a GREAT book.

Trev Diesel said...

Darrell, I figured you had read it - I know that you're into Borg's work. It is a GREAT book!