Thursday, July 21, 2005

Getting the itch...

From a fantastic book I'm reading called "The Barn at the End of the World" by Mary Rose O'Reilley:

"I love city life, its ruthless push of body on soul, the exacerbation, the grinding down. Sometimes. Often. And I love deep country, lakes lit like white fire. But nothing in my soul responds to suburbs, from which life has been sucked through a stellar straw. As though we were an experiment in the making of black holes."

Amen. Give me downtown and coffeehouses. Give me a quaint, friendly small town. Give me quiet, contemplative country. Just get me out of Blahworld. My wife and I are getting the itch to move. Bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've often described Colorado Springs as "one big suburb without an urb." That's not entirely true; there is a smallish downtown area that's charming, and the area surrounding Colorado College is even downright progressive. That said, if it weren't for the mountains, hiking, and wilderness within minutes of my home, I'd consider this town a wasteland.

Good luck on that desire. Any thoughts on where you might head?

Trev Diesel said...

We're not really going to "head" anywhere... we both like our jobs and won't move out of the area... just to a different "spot" within driving distances of work.

I've always wanted to live in the woods, by a creek/river, or (even better) in a woods by a creek/river. :)

But we'll see... we're both "small town" people so that might work out well too.